Before coming to Barcelona, it is essential to find out whether you need a visa to enter, travel and study in Spain. There are many requirements to fulfill in order to receive a visa and, depending on your country of origin, the process for your student visa application for Spain may take up to three months to complete.


Therefore, it is important to start as early as possible to allow enough time for the embassy or consulate to process your request. The temporary student visa you will receive must be issued in your home country and is only valid for 90 days.


Student Visas for Spain

You must submit the following documentation to the nearest Spanish embassy in (or to) your home country:

Medical Insurance

Medical insurance that covers any medical and repatriation expenses due to an accident or sudden disease, valid for the entire duration of stay and in all countries, that apply the international agreements of suppression of border controls of which Spain is part.


A guarantee of return to the country of origin, such as a round-trip ticket with a closed date that does not exceed the authorized period of maximum stay.


A passport valid for the total period of stay for which the visa is requested, photocopies and four (4) recent passport-size photos.

Medical Certificate

A medical certificate demonstrating that the applicant is in good physical and mental health.

Criminal Record

Proof that the applicant has no criminal record, i.e. a Certificate of Absence of Police Records (Certificado de Antecedentes Penales).

Letters of Acceptance

Two letters of acceptance from EU (in English and Spanish).


Proof of sufficient funds for the total period of stay.

Are You a Minor?

In the case of a minor, parent/guardian authorization to travel and stay.


Proof of accommodation in Spain during the stay.


Proof of residence in the place of the request, as well bonds or roots in the country of residence.


Details of the professional and socioeconomic situation of the applicant.


Proof of fulfilment of the terms of return in the case previously granted visas.

European Union citizens

European Union citizens wishing to study in Spain must apply for a Spanish Resident Number, known as the NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero).

Non-European Union citizens

Non-European Union citizens who wish to study in Spain must apply for a Spanish Resident Card, known as the TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero).

All students wishing to pursue studies in Barcelona must register as a resident in the city. You can register at your nearest city hall. This process is called empadronamiento. You must take:


  • Your passport
  • A rental contract in your name for a minimum duration of six months. If you don’t have one, you must be accompanied by the contract holder and carry the original rental contract bearing their name.

TIE and NIE applications must be done by appointment. You can visit the student services office in the Barcelona campus for instructions on how to arrange one. Once an appointment is arranged, you will obtain the address of the police station, as well as the time and date of the appointment.


Both NIE and TIE applicants must present the following documentation:


  • Certificate of empadronamiento
  • A filled out tax form (790/012) as proof of payment
  • Three passport photos


Non-EU Citizen TIE applicants must also present:


  • A completed official EX-17 form and two copies
  • A certificate of enrollment and receipt of tuition payment in Spanish
  • Your passport and a copy of both the main page and the page containing your entrance stamp from the day of your arrival in Spain for non-EU citizens
  • Your student visa and a copy


EU Citizen NIE applicants must also present:


  • A copy of your national ID
  • A completed official EX-18 form and two copies
  • National health insurance S1, to be requested from your country's health system or private insurance covering basic services, hospitalization and repatriation. If the private insurance (contract and conditions) is from your country, it must be officially translated into Spanish (If you need help obtaining insurance in Spain, the Student Services department can help
  • Bank statement (Spanish or international) with a minimum amount of €5,160

Around three or four weeks after your appointment, you will be able to collect your TIE card from the address indicated on the receipt you received at your appointment.


Find out how student services can help you